AdviceFood Tips

Saving Browned Flour for Gravy

If I have made too much browned flour for gravy can I save the flour for use later? If so, how do I save it?

By Kayrene from Potomac, MT

Put it in a ziplock bag in the freezer.

I always brown flour for gravies, making it ahead of time so I have it when I need it. I store it in instant coffee jars and keep it on the shelf. Pillsbury says you can keep raw flour stored like this: "Store flour in an airtight container in a cool place (75° F. or cooler). For longer storage, place flour bag in a resealable plastic freezer bag and refrigerate or freeze. Properly stored, flour will stay fresh for up to 2 years." So, if its fine for raw it must be fine for cooked browned and I've never had any problems with any I've pre-made or stored.