Dog ToysDogs

Finding Toys for Tiny Dogs

Both my mother and my best friend have tiny dogs. They have a hard time finding toys for these small dogs. Anyone have any suggestions?

Linda V. from Spokane, WA

I too have a tiny dog (4lb Yorkie) and I buy cat toys w/out catnip. I also buy small Beanie Baby type stuffed animals/toys. Check out the kids section and cat toy section of your local store. It's amazing the odd little things my dog will play with. lol

Yes, I'd go with can go with cat toys, that's what I'd recommend. But please use care when you choose the size & type of toys because my cat just endured an expensive major operation to remove a small foreign body from his intestines. At first I thought ingesting foreign objects that got stuck & required an operation to remove them was rare, until my vet told me they see between 3 to 5 pets a day that require this major operation. When I picked up my cat, Smokey from his overnight stay, The Vet said they had just removed a tiny Barbie football from a small dogs stomach & part of a Tennis Ball from a larger dogs.

* When choosing toys for dogs & "pet-proofing" our homes, we need to think of them as "toddlers" that stick anything into their mouths, the good the bad & the ugly! I remember my dogs favorite toy was a tube sock!

Walmart now sells dog toys made for small dogs.

There is a lady on etsy that sells small dog toys. I've bought things for my chi's there. Here is her etsy shop http://doggiewearz.etsy.com

My chihuahua loves her little squirrel. I got it at Petsmart, and it is just the right size for her to "dominate". We spend hours throwing and fetching - it's her favorite thing - next to me, of course! As I recall, they come in 2 or 3 different sizes, so you should be able to find one that works.

I have a 10 lb. Rat Terrier; I buy her small plushy squeak toys from the 99 cent store. She loves to hear them squeak when she plays with them. If they are out, I buy the soft cuddly baby toys also, but they do not squeak. From the baby toys, I remove the ribbons/buttons, etc.
Enjoy your new dog. Rosalie - San Diego

Hello,
I save the little stuffed toys that my kids get in their happy meals. My Josie just loves them!

I found an article on the web for making inexpensive toys for dogs. You take (scraps from another project) of fleece and cut a rectangle that is large enough to cut 2-3 inch fringe on the edged. Tie all the edges except one. Then stuff it with crinkly cellophane paper that comes off packages. Tie the last side. My sons two miniature dash hounds love them. They make enough noise and can be made a good size for them.

Make sure if you just by "squeaky" toys that the squeaker will not come out. The dog and cat toys have them secured really well. I would think children's toys would too.

Try the 99 cent store and Big Lots for animal toys for less expensive one (for all dogs and cats:)

I used to crochet small balls and stuffed them,my dog loved them. also if you have strips of denim you could braid it any length you want and knot both ends.

Cat Toys?

Take a baby mitten and stuff it with fuzz/filling or a baby sock. Yard sales and Goodwill are great for finding 25 cent stuffed toys. Happy Meals are a great source for small stuffed toys, too. My small dogs like the itty bitty "water bombs" they sell in summertime at Dollar Tree and Dollar General. Dollar General also sells tennis balls for toy dogs. Also, check out Target's $1 aisle. I bought a tiny Hello Kitty that my dog likes to chew on.