FoodPhotos

Have Emergency Food Box On Hand

contest winner icon

Every year we have no idea what the weather will bring in the winter months. I have a special box just for this occasion. I buy soups, canned meats with pastas and other non perishable items to go in it. I usually have about 2 weeks of easy to prepare foods should we lose electricity.

I start with sales and buy soups and other things on special. I have crackers, cookies, and other non perishables also available in my pantry. I also collect gallon sized containers and fill them with water so we have something to drink. If I feel like they have been stored too long, I empty them into the washing machine, clean the bottles and refill them. ( I have also read where you can use a tablespoon of regular bleach in each bottle to keep it germ free.)

Last year we were snowed in for 3 days and the "winter package" came in handy. Not only did we eat well, it was also nutritious.

It might be a good idea for everyone to make sure they have essentials on hand before the weather gets bad. You never know what the winter will bring but being prepared is all part of life.

By Gem from VA

I always have enough food on hand that will last a couple weeks. I also have a good supply of bread and sliced sandwich meat (bologna, etc.) in my freezer. That way we can have sandwiches if the power is out.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

That is a great idea. The only thing I would caution you about is refilling/reusing those plastic gallon water jugs. The plastic starts to break down over time and release chemicals into the water. I would save them for awhile and then use and recyle them. Buy new jugs to replace them or get glass containers to keep your water in.

Reply Like this photo? Yes