Save on Sewing Thread

If you sew a lot like I do, this will save you not only money but time. Quite often I find the larger spools usually sold for serger use on sale for $1.98, less than the large spool of regular thread. I just sit it in a container run it up through a hook that I tape to the lid of my sewing machine and thread as usual. I wind my bobbins with the same thread so I don't have to adjust the tension and the thread comes in tons of colors.

By Ann W. craftingtales.com from Loup City, NE

I really like your pin cushion/holder idea too! :-)

Anonymous

I have been doing this with my pin cushion on my machine for years, so glad someone else is doing it. going to try the serge thread, too! thanks.

Practical and thrifty. Fits right in here! Good Job at being both. PBP

You have to be careful about how you use the thread. Regular thread is 3 ply but serger thread is usually only 2 ply and not very strong since it is normally used with three other threads.

Don't use the single serger thread on any seam that will be stressed.

Here I was gonna give away some half pint mason jars! Perfect for quilting on a regular machine! Thanks! :)

You can also run two bobbins. Place one in the machine and one on top. They will both empty at the same time, then run two more.

I agree with tazfan. I would never use serger thread for garments not even in an emergency. It is too thin. In serging there are three or four threads to do the job hence two ply is sufficient but not in regular sewing.

Sorry. I used to sew for the public and sometimes the clients would bring the serger thread and I would refuse to make the garment unless they brought dressmaker thread.

I agree with tazfan. Never use serger thread on general sewing. Too thin. Won't hold up.

I buy my black and white thread in bulk for my serger and sewing machines as I can do most interior seams with those colours then I only have to buy a small spool of matching colour for top stitching.

That is a good idea but you can buy a holder for your thread with a loop at the top. They are only 4 or 5 dollars. If I would have known about this method, I probably would not have bought the holder though.

Crafts SewingOctober 26, 2011
🍂
🎄