HealthPets

Warning About Flea Medicine from the Dollar Store

PLEASE BE AWARE. While dropping my dog off at the vet yesterday, a hysterical girl rushed in with a cat that was violently shaking, mouth hanging open, eyes actually bugged out. She was crying and screaming. The receptionist ran around the desk and got the cat and I tried to comfort the girl and get out of her what had happened.

She had purchased and applied flea medicine from the Dollar Store the night before to her dogs and this poor cat. She said the dogs were OK. Please DO NOT buy this stuff from places like this. You need a known manufacturer and directions and doses from your vet! I am sure she was doing her best, but in the long run, it will now cost her a lot more.

I am sure that there are possibly some animals that would be affected by even the prescribed meds, however, the chances are way less likely.

I didn't even know stuff like that was sold at Dollar stores. I wonder where it was made? It seems a lot of things that are harmful are coming from China.

I would never trust anything from the Dollar Store for my kitties and dogs. I only buy from my Vet.

China? Betcha it is from there, it seems to me that they are trying to kill our pets.

Jennifer
Northern Virginia

By Rosa (Guest Post)

Also do not buy any products from Hartz Mountain! rose

By kiki (Guest Post)

You can not use a dog's flea medicine on cats, period. It doesn't matter if it comes from the dollar store or from the vet. Don't do it.

Bonnie, You are a nice person for helping that poor girl.What a horrible situation. I have allways treated products from underdeveloped country's with suspicion. I cant understand how products that do not meet our country's stringent production standards,are allowed to be shipped into this country.

This may not be the case however, Flea powder is poison. It is meant to kill, It just depends on the dose. Cats will lick it off.

Ive used flea collars on my cats all the time they lived a long life , but on the other hand my new cat got sick from the liquid i used on my small dog she must have licked it $ 700 for vet bill thank god shes okay but i truly only believe in cat or dog flea collars not liquid stuff

By Laura (Guest Post)

Be aware that there is separate flea treatment for dogs and cats. Sometimes a bargain isn't worth taking chances.

By (Guest Post)

Hi, thanks for the postings. I did not get the impression that she had used dog medicine on the cat. I am on hold right now with the vets office to check on the cat. If they do not keep me on hold too long, I will say how the cat is.

I AM SO GLAD...THE CAT TURN OUT OK...
THANK GOODNESS. That may not have been the case!

Anonymous

Had some nasty flea problem that normal herbal remedies did not work for, so I picked up the three for kitties and one for my dog. I applied them last night to each and this morning woke to my kitties, Luna and Magick having what appeared to be a seizure. They were convulsing, eyes wide and they could stand up. I rushed them to 1 vet who sent me to another and they are both now in IVs and heaters and have not started moving . I come home to find my other cat who had no reactions earlier shaking and the same symptoms. It is now 5pm and Apollo, the dog(7 month old puppy) is lethargic and running a fever. This stuff is horrible!!!

Hi all! I research and write books on small dogs, and recently finished one called Ticks on Dogs: Small Dog Nightmare.

You're absolutely right to say, NEVER use commercial tick and flea control products on your pets if you can help it. The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) has recommended many more controls be put on these products. In the past 5 years, at least 1,600 dogs and cats have died from adverse reactions to them. In 2008 alone, more than 44,000 bad reactions were reported to the EPA.

The biggest shock - regulations around these products are quite sketchy. For example, products for pets don't have to be tested on actual pets. (What?!) Many can be tested on RATS instead. So flea and tick shampoo, dips or powders that cause tremors, drooling, seizures and worse for your small dog, can be marketed. The rat was fine in testing.

There is no governing body that regulates the use of flea and tick fighting products. That's because they are considered "insecticides" and not medicine or food.

So please look for natural or holistic alternatives and if you must use commercial products, be very, very careful with dosages.

You can not buy flea drops that are made for dogs and put it on cats. Same goes for you can't buy cat flea drops and use it on dogs. The meds are specifically for one animal unless stated on package it can be used for both which is very rare.

Same thing happened to me the dollar tree sells anything to make a buck.Hopfully my cat will be ok.Ill keep everyone posted

Anonymous

I lost a cat recently we put liquid on their necks for fleas we had used it before without any problem unfortunately she had seizures a real bad nonstop one for hrs on a Sunday all the vets near by were closed and didn't have the money to take her to a vet she didn't come out of it and passed I'm not 100% sure it was the medicine cause the other cats were fine but its a hood possibility :(