Freezing Homemade Cream of Potato Soup?

Can homemade cream of potato soup be frozen? It has cream of celery soup, milk, onion, carrots, ham and potatoes. Thank you in advance!

By janice from IL

Yes, all kinds of soup can be frozen.

Anything CAN be frozen; the questionable part is its quality when it's defrosted. Frozen milk gets watery when it's defrosted, so you may have the same problem with the soup. Maybe you could add some half and half or cream when you reheat it to counteract that. Either way, it would still be edible.

If you have chunks of potato, they tend to get a little mushy and mealy when frozen. I personally would can the potato soup in a water bath canner. It's not hard to do. Debbie-Jenn

I'm sure that would need to be pressure canned, not water bath, and I would strongly recommend getting a trusted recipe from the USDA or and extension council in your county.

Would love to know your method for canning the the potato soup?

Care to share that Cream of Potato soup? Sounds lovely. Thanks.

Yes, I mash my potatoes and put them in. I make enough for 3 meals at a time. I freeze the extra for easy weeknight meals.

Thank you all for your help and advise. Here is the basic recipe, a adjust to whatever I have on hand at the time, or whatever my tastes are for that day.

3-4 potatoes, diced (can peel if desired)
diced onion (to taste)
1 can cream of soup (I have used chicken, celery, mushroom, all are good)
1 can chicken broth (can use water, just enough to cover potatoes)
shredded carrots, optional
evaporated milk (I didnt have any at time, so I mixed powdered milk, have also used 2% milk)
salt and pepper to taste
can add shredded cheddar cheese

Cook potatoes, carrots and onion in broth (or water) till potatoes are mushy. Do not drain. Add remaining ingredients, and heat thru (do not boil), stirring occasionally, and if using cheese, heat till cheese melts. I also added cheese to bowls after putting soup into them. Very easy, tasty, and can be frugal. If you want it a thinner soup, add more milk.

Thank you for all the responses. It has been put in freezer.

@ Debbie-Jenn : Water bath canning is only safe for acidic foods with pH < 4.6 (eg. peaches, apples, tomatoes + citric acid).

For non-acidic foods, water bath canning does not get hot enough to prevent the growth of botulism. Use a pressure cooker to can non-acidic foods, it's the ONLY safe way!

Food and Recipes Freezing SoupApril 23, 2009
🌻
🐰
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf68453010.tip.html