Using Coupons and Avoiding Impulse Buying

This is saving me time and money at the grocery store. With trial and error, I finally figured out how to use coupons more effectively and efficiently.

At home, I go through my supermarket's weekly sales ad with my coupons in hand. I write my list on the outside of an envelope, also by each item that requires purchasing more then one, I note the number and then place the coupons that I plan to use inside. This saves me so much time at the store. I don't have to keep sorting through the coupons as I shop, plus I go in shopping for just the items I have on my list.

This way I avoid impulse buying. I know exactly what I plan to buy and where my coupons are for those items.

By Bobbie from Rockwall

Thanks for the great idea. That was a light-bulb moment! I never thought of putting the number of items needed for a coupon on my list. But if I have a coupon, I put a (c) for coupon next to the item and also the aisle number. I put my list in aisle order so I don't have to go up and down each aisle (my DH likes to do that = costs more when he shops - lol). I find this makes my shopping more efficient and the last thing I want to do is spend more time in the grocery store, if you know what I mean?

This is more difficult for grocery shopping, but many "Impulse Purchases" my wife and I have stopped many impulse purchases by buying almost everything on eBay. For example, we bought 4 boxes of crest white strips for the price of 1 box at Sam's. Also, I buy all computer software on there at 1/3 the cost. The auction timeframe gives you time to truly evaluate whether you need something or if it's "Impulse". If you are checking an auction frequently, then your desire either grows to it or away from it.