Removing Body Odor Smell From Room

We had a roommate who rarely bathed. His room is empty and he has gone, however his essence is still in the room that he occupied. I have tried the plug-in things, but they don't do anything. Any ideas? Fortunately I don't need the room immediately, but would like to convert it to a guest room as soon as I remove the stench.

Christine

I picked up a hint here that worked for me when I was trying to rid a room of the smell of a smoker. I put a small bowl of coffee grounds in the room on the dresser, closed the door for a few days and the smell was gone. I had already aired the room our and used a fan to blow it out also.

Open a bag of charcoal briquettes and leave it in the room for a few days.

Try sitting a few small bowls around the room with vinegar in them, it absorbs ordors.

Painting it might work too.

You should shampoo the carpeting, wash the curtains and scrub the walls with bleach water.

Go to Starbucks and ask them for a bag of used coffee grounds. Yes, they give them away for free. Open the bag and leave it sitting in the room. It will absorb offensive odors. You might want to remove the bag of coffee grounds every four days and replace it with a "fresh" bag. By the way, I love getting these coffee grounds from Starbucks, they smell SO good. You can pour the grounds into your flower beds when you are finished with them.

have you tried cleaning it??? all the plug in things do are cover up and mask. yes i would clean every inch and every thing in there. open the windows too.

First thing your gonna have to do is clean the room well--I mean REALLY CLEAN it. Try using a bleached based cleaner like clorox cleanup or maybe a citrus cleaner. I'm afraid the only way to really clean is the old fashioned hands and knees on the floor and wipe or mop the walls. The best way to remove smells after cleaning is to use coffee or charcoal. Good luck!

If you can't get the carpet cleaned, try sprinkling baking soda on it and letting it sit a day and then vacuum it really, really well. The baking soda is good and absorbing odors and it is cheap. Commercial carpet deodorizers have it but I find the fragrances they put in too strong.

I also heard to set around bowls of pure vanilla, but I haven't tried it!

Remove any cloth or leather furniture. Wipe down any wood furniture. Shampoo the carpeting with rug shampoo for pet odors. Wipe down walls and wash windows. Replace any blinds, shades, drapes or curtains. Wipe down light fixtures. Remove any bedding and wash in hot water. You may have to remove and replace the mattress. Remove any clothing that is in closets. Remove items from closet. After carpeting dries, sprinkle with rug deodorizer and vacuum thoroughly. Hope that helps.

Try striking some matches to temporarily kill the odor so yo can clean it.

I would spray all fabric things with Febreze. Use baking soda on the floor over night and vac up in the morning. Wash down any vinyl with vinegar mixed with water. Stick fabric softener sheets in the drawers and closet. IF you can air the room for at least 24 hours with the windows open.

Yankee Candle Company has a great fragrance that smells like clean linen,,,I think that may be the name of it. I get it at Bed Bath and Beyond. It will make the room smell clean.

Don't forget to spray the mattress with Febreze before you put on clean sheets. You might want to use an upholstery cleaner on it but don't get it too wet and let it dry out good before you put on clean sheets.

Wow! These are really good tips. One more to add. Lavender essential oil is antibacterial and removes odors.

Take a spray bottle, fill with water, add 20 drops of Lavender and give the room a good spray. Lavender does not mask odors but actually attacks the bacteria causing the odor. This is very green! Good Luck!

I have used OdorsOut for odor in dresser draws, wow what a job all the oder gone. It is for carpets from pet odors. I would use it on mattress as well.
You can find it at Pet Smart or Pet-Co, Pet Food Stores. It's spindy but it works and not a lot of work.
You just sprinkle it on leave it for a couple of days or until you have time to vacum.

Sprinkle baking soda all over the carpet, inside the cupboards and drawers of any furniture. Leave overnight. Vacuum everything thoroughly and wash any bedding, curtains, etc. Fill a spray bottle with boiled/purified water and 10 drops of lavender and 10 drops of tea tree or eucalyptus oil and give the room a good spraying. Then keep the windows open to air out. Your smelly problem should then be gone.

Try incense. I cooked a pot of collard greens once that made the whole house smell for days and nothing worked until I tried the incense.