AdviceGardening

Lilac Bushes Look Wilted

I bought 2 lilac shrubs when all the flowers went on clearance at Walmart. They looked fine when I bought them and brought them home. I left them in their pots for about 2-3 weeks before I got to plant them. I got them planted into the ground but by that time they looked sort of wilted. I watered and watered and it didn't work so I added some miracle growth stuff and watered.

That didn't work so I thought maybe too much water so I cut back to 1 time a week and that didn't work. Its been 2 1/2 months and they still look wilted, barely alive. What should I do, I was hoping to get them established before winter hits.

Natalie from Richfield, UT

This is the time of year when the leave die then fall off all lilac bushes. I have 10 that are over 8 feet high & are in the process of dying-back right now. Are you sure it's not just natures cycle? Unfortunately lilacs are not evergreen & die each fall to return in the springtime.

If this isn't it, then maybe you should call a plant nursery (or take in a picture) & ask them about your problem.