Fixing Streaky and Dull Furniture From Murphy's Oil Soap

Category Furniture
Sometimes wood cleaners can leave a residue behind that can be difficult to remove. This is a guide about fixing streaky and dull furniture from Murphy's Oil Soap.

I used Murphy's on my piano, dining room table, and 3 dressers. Now they are all a mess, streaked and dull. I called Murphy's and they said that probably the product was old and to get a new bottle and use that and it would get rid of the streaking. It didn't. It made the surfaces even duller.

I've always used Liquid Gold in the past for cleaning and shine. Now, it just sinks in and disappears, no shine, and the streaks still show. I called Ethan Allen, maker of the dining room table. They told me to wash it with a mild solution of Ivory soap, rinse it, and dry it. I did that and it's still awful. Any help out there?

By real

Answers

Best Answer

I would bet the liquid gold left a residue and the oil soap is lifting it out of the wood. You could keep using the oil soap or contact the liquid gold company to see what they recommend to get the residue off. My dad refinished furniture and he always told me to never use furniture polish or liquid gold because of residue.

Best Answer

Take some alcohol on cotton rag and rub small area. See if that pulls the residue. If it does do a larger section. Work using clean rags.

I'd read that Murphy's could remove built up wax/oil on finished furniture, only it worsened the situation! The finish is now cloudy, streaky, and in some spots, tacky to the touch. It has ruined my dining room table. Help!

Answers

Best Answer

I have used Murphys oil on my furniture and wall paneling. No problems..I diluted the Murphys oil using a spray bottle or in a gallon of water use about 1/2 cup of the cleaner.