Suggestions for Buying Dental and Vision Insurance

At the age of 59 and 61, my spouse and I need dental and vision insurance. Any suggestions or comments?

By B.T.

You might want to check our Avia Dental. This is not a dental insurance but a dental plan. Participating dentists give you a discount, determined by the plan, on your dental work. For example, on a $800 bill for a root canal, you might only pay $400.

This plan is very cheap; I pay $13.50 a month which includes me, my husband and our 4 children. There is also a vision plan associated with the Avia. You can check it out on the internet to see what is offered in your state and find out the names of participating dentists. We have been with Avia for years and it has been well worth the monthly cost. I think the cost is lower for a couple and I know the cost per month is lower for a single person. Hope this helps.

Anonymous

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY with Aetna Vital Savings! TOTAL SCAM! When my dentist applied the discount to his Treatment Plan, I only realized 3% savings...FAR FROM the 15-50% savings promised by Aetna Vital Savings. I spent $179 on a "Family Plan" with Aetna Vital Savings and because it took me more than 30 days to figure out this scam after purchasing it, Aetna REFUSES to refund me any money!

My dentist said this is one of the worst plans he has had to deal with...in many cases, the Aetna pre-determined "discount" price is higher than what my dentist charges! $179+$20 enrollment fee DOWN THE DRAIN!