FlowersGardening

Perennial For Around My Mailbox

I want to plant some type of perennial around my mailbox. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of something that is easy to take care of. The location gets shade in the morning and sun in the afternoon.

Tammy from Virginia

A clematis would be lovely for your mail box. They are hardy, like shade on their roots, climb well and have beautiful flowers in many colors from pink to almost black.

Stella de'Oro daylilies would be beautiful. Bright yellow blooms from early spring to late fall. They are the longest-blooming daylily, and produce prolific blooms. The lighly ruffled, 2-1/2 inch golden blooms curl back to create a bell shape, and mature plants do an outstanding job at choking out weeds around them. Excellent landscaping plant! The plant, even when not blooming, is very pleasing to look at. Easy to care for, minimal maintenance, prolific leaves that are "architectually" pleasing to the eye. Less than $10 a plant through most catalogs but very readily available through most nurserys.

Morning Glories are wonderfully easy to care for. Drop the seeds in the ground and walk away.
cj

Portulaca (Rose Moss) is an annual rather than a perennial, but it seeds itself down and comes up each summer. Blooms all summer and takes little care. Another self seeding annual that blooms all summer up until frost is Four'O'Clocks. They come in several colors. I have them in Hot Pink, and Bright Yellow. You can save seeds from the plant easily and just drop them wherever you would like to start them. Drop them during the winter or very early spring. They will grow to about 3 feet high.
Harlean from Arkansas

I've seen black-eyed susans and purple cone-flowers that look really nice. They hardly need any care and will mutiply a little.

My mailbox post is metal and no matter what I paint it with rust comes through so I planted ivy at the base. It is totally care free. Everybody loves it.

Daylillies or Tiger Lillies would be easy.