Lip Gloss

What does it mean that lip gloss contains pig fat? Can you tell me?

By Shireen from JBP

Wouldn't it mean lard?

Yes, I too have lip gloss for a science project, and if any one has any information at all on what type of things I should use in it it will be helpful.

Just what it says, the boiled down fat of a pig! (you'd be surprised how many things contain this, including many of the foods we eat eg some ice cream!) Go for lip gloss that is cruelty free - there are plenty of them around!

Anonymous

First, I am intrigued that your lip gloss actually says 'pig fat'. It's called stearic acid. Check your lotions, shampoo, soap and even a vast majority of food, vitamins, etc products and you'll see stearic acid on the ingredient labels.

BTW, where is JBP?

I made lip gloss/chapstick at home. Very easy.. melt Crisco and add any flavor to it, experiment from jelly, to vodka, to coke. Anything edible really. Pour it into old tubes or prescription medicine bottles, put in the freezer to harden. I think most lip items are just fat based.

You can make your own by melting about 3 parts vaseline and one part paraffin wax over hot water. Works great.