Clothing StainsCleaning

Removing Dye Transferred in the Wash

I have washed a white cotton sweater and it came out of the washer with pink blotches. Is there anything I can do to remove the color?

By jackye1

Best Answer

Try a product called Shout Color Catcher sheets, available in the laundry aisle at the supermarket, washing the sweater by itself with 2-3 sheets. The box will say use 1, but I find more is better.Then air dry.

If the sweater was dried in the dryer, the color may be set.

Another thing to try is soaking in a powder dishwasher and water solution. Fill a container big enough to submerge the sweater in with warm water, and dissolve 1 cup of detergent in it. Put in the sweater, making sure it is under the water and soak overnight. Rinse well and air dry.

Both the methods above have saved items for me. Hope they may help you

Since the sweater is white cotton, you could also make a bleach and warm water solution deep enough to cover the item and soak overnight. Check the bleach label for amount to use. Rinse and air dry.

Best Answer

Rit Dye has a product called Rit Color Remover. I have used it several times and have had good luck. It can be found at the grocery store, Walmart, etc. Any place that sells Rit Dye would probably have it. That's a frustrating problem. Good luck to you.

Half cup of Clorox, half cup of Cascade powder in a gallon or so of warm water. Let soak overnnight. (Then wash us usual. It has worked every time for me.