Red, White and Blueberry Dessert

I made a healthy, low-cal and super-tasty red, white and blue desert for a 4th of July potluck back in the 1980's. My daughter (now grown) still raves about how it's her all-time favorite desert! I made it without a recipe, but if you can make a pie filling then you can make this quick and healthy desert. Here's the basics of how to:

• red = strawberries or raspberries,
  • white = vanilla yogurt (or whipped cream)
  • blue = blueberries
  • thickener - like Knox gelatin or cornstarch
  • sweetener - honey, sugar, Stevia, etc.

Directions:

You need to thicken the berries with either Knox gelatin or cornstarch (like you are making a pie filling) and add a tiny bit of sweetener. I cooked each of the berries in a separate container.

I stacked the Red, White & Blue ingredients one on top of each other in a glass bowl (so it looked cool from the side) with the blueberries on the bottom, the vanilla yogurt in the middle and the raspberries or strawberries on the top. Lastly I put this into the fridge to set up (like you would Jell-O).

* To keep the calories low, use vanilla yogurt, but if you absolutely hate yogurt you can substitute whipped cream. and if you have a milk allergy (or you love the taste of hydrogenated oil), you can use Cool Whip in place of the yogurt.

By Cyinda