Buying a CarCars

Fuel Efficient Used Cars

Category Buying a Car

I have about 3,000 dollars to spend on a new commuter car to get me to and from work. I have been driving my truck and the gas mileage is horrible. Can anyone suggest a good car that is fuel efficient and likely to be in that price range?

Thanks,
Tim from MN

By Chris (Guest Post)

Honda Civics are great...for that price range, you'll have to get one with pretty high mileage. But, they run a LONG time. Good luck!

My husband has an Olds Cutlass and he gets around 32 miles per gallon. It's an older one, '82 I think, but it still gets great gas mileage.

By Rose Mary B (Guest Post)

Hi, we have a GEO Prizm, it is a great car. We got a 1991 in 2001 for about 1,800. Love this car, it gets 40 mile per gallon. Enough room for 4 adults and a big trunk. Hope this helps.

By trina (Guest Post)

Try Isuzus, we have a 1986 going on 300,000 miles that gets wonderful mileage and is still going strong. I bought it new , passed it along to two sons and it is like the pink bunny, it keeps going and going strong.Very fuel efficient.

I'd like to suggest the Honda or Acura cars. DH has worked for them and says that it's not unusual for one to come in with 200,000 and the owner wanting the engine spiffed up so it can keep rolling.

A famous financial columnist keeps on talking about his car (one of those electric ones in which the car goes via a motor or battery), I don't recall the brand but it shouldn't be too hard to locate.

By JennyMclane (Guest Post)

That's great! I just come up with a new article featuring "The Most and Least Fuel Efficient Autos". I know that this will help you a lot on choosing you new car! Read on: The Auto Parts Geek (www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=jennymclane).

By Barry (Guest Post)

I have a Saturn SL1 with a 5 speed that delivers 40 mpg back and forth to work in the warmer months. In the fall and winter, with the winter blend gas, the mileage drops to 34 - 35. Still not too bad for a car with 183, 000 miles on the odometer.