General AdviceConsumer Advice

Aquarium Air Stone Not Bubbling

I have 2 air stones in my aquarium. In one of them the bubbles are coming kind of intermittently, getting fewer and fewer. What can I do about this? The air stones are only about a week old.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

I was told at the pet store one time that before you use a new air stone in the aquarium, to soak it for about an hour in water and it will produce bubbles better. Or if that doesn't help, maybe the pump isn't giving it enough air. Maybe it needs a stronger air pump.

Get ceramic or stone air stones. They can be cleaned & last a very long time. Wood rots.

Ceramic air stones can get clogged with oils from our hands and body. Never touch the "stone" with your fingers. When I clean mine I use a piece of saran wrap, a glove or a ziploc bac to hold the porous end.

Thetwnsmama, I think your idea about a stronger pump was the answer. I had them both on one pump and just now separated them giving them each their own pump and both are bubbling like mad now. Thank you for your help!

(Took me a minute to figure out your nickname there. Didn't get it till I thought of my own twin granddaughters!)