Drying and Sweetening Coconut Meat

Category Drying
Processing these large palm seeds can give you a delicious addition to many recipes. This guide is about drying and sweetening coconut meat.

Does anyone know how to sweeten and dry coconut meat?

By Kim

Answers

I have a couple of good books that I refer to when questions like this come up--How to Dry Foods by Deanna DeLong, HP Books and and Dehydration Made Simple by Mary Bell, Magic Mill. Here is a paraphrase:Coconuts are 51% water.

Start with a coconut that is heavy for its size and full of liquid. Poke holes in one of the "eyes" at one end and drain liquid. Crack shell with a hammer and steam for 1 min. to loosen meat from the shell. Use a stout knife to pry meat the rest of the way loose and to trim off brown rind from meat.

Grate or cut into 1/4 or 1/2 inch cubes or strips and dry at approx. 130 degrees F (55C) until leathery or dry and crunchy. To sweeten, sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar before drying.

Because of high oil content, dried coconut keeps best when stored in an air-tight container in the frig. or freezer until used. May turn ivory in color after drying. Have fun. Begonia

I break the shell of the coconut, peel the hard skin, slice and add sugar. Then I put it in the food processor. I add about 1 cup of water, blend till it's fine and drain with a muslin cloth. I use the milk for cooking chicken and prawns or veggie curry and the coconut I place on a baking tray and dry in the oven. When it's dry I store in containers and use for baking.

How do I sweeten coconut?

By Yvonneg from Plano, TX

Answers

Hi! Well, coconut is already pretty sweet, and of course it matters what you're going to use it for. But, since you didn't mention a recipe I'll guess that you want to eat it fresh from the shell? After you break it out of the shell, you could try dunking it in a "bath" of about 1/2 cup of water and 2 Tbspn of sugar or Splenda. An alternative would be using vanilla abstract in place of the sugar. But we've always eaten fresh coconut as is, when it's fresh. Hope this helps!