What Does Campho-Phenique Do?

Can anyone please tell me what Campho-Phenique does?

Daphne from Adelaide, Aus

I think it's good for wound healing, I know my Mom always had it in the medicine basket.

It's the absolute "best" to apply to cold sores/fever blisters on the lips! I tried everything in the stores and nothing seemed to really help. A cousin told me to rub in a bit at the first sign of itching, or appearance of a fever blister, and it works! It dries the blister up really fast, so at least it won't develope into a huge blister/sore. I carry one small tube in my purse, and have a tube for at home use. I won't ever be without it.

It's good for just about anything!!! Great for mosquitoe bites.My sister and I when we were kids,we'd use our hair brush...scratch the itch then apply Campho- Finaky.....our Dad called it this and it stopped the hurt & itch everytime.Good for mouth sores too!!

My father swore that campho worked better than anything-- for wounds, sores, fever blisters-- I keep it on hand because it is very useful.

Thankyou ALL
I do so love this Site
you are so helpful and nice

Anytime I start to get a little sore in my mouth, I dip a q-tip in the bottle and apply it -- works great.

Sometimes my gum gets sore, red, and swollen and I dab a little on it so I can brush my teeth without it killing me, and it gets well fast.

It was the remedy for athlete's foot and other similar types of fungi back in the days when there were no specialized products on the market. It is good for oral herpes outbreaks (cold sores), but do use the tube type for this. The kind in the bottle is stronger, and tends to sting a bit.

It and Mentholated Vasoline are in the exact same catagory, mildly soothing and simply protective because of the Petroleum in them both. I love the

camphor smell, but it really does little in the way of actual healing, rather just coating and allowing slight protection for the body to heal itself. God bless you.
: )

I have had an itchy skin rash for maybe 6mos.I the doctor made a biopsy and pathology said it was probably an allergic reaction to some medication.I changed all those one by one and still have it to some extent.That's after applying Corticosteroids all this time.If I scratch to hard some of these places turn into sores with scabs .I've made a change lately. I have been using a bare minimum of cortico and have added Capho phenique liquid to my regimen.
Does anyone out there think this will help?

For dogs prone to tracheal stricture (sudden wheezing), put a finger wet with liquid campho-phenique on top of the nose (not on the end!) Wheezing ceases instantly! :-)

Campho-phenique is the best immediate treatment for burns. I keep a bottle in the kitchen cabinet next to the stove and use it whenever I burn myself while cooking. It stings a little at first but immediately thereafter, the pain of the burn goes away and there is no blistering or scarring afterward.
I wonder if anyone has ever used it to treat the skin side effects of radiation therapy.

Yes this is the best product ever for Fever blisters, I have suffered with fever blisters since childhood. The embarrasment of this just killed me emotionally. For years they have come and gone, I have used any and every product to cure them and nothing ever worked salt rubs, alcohol and peroxide all made them worse and made my lip swell up more than it already was. A few years ago while having another episode I came across campho phenic at CVS, this is a miracle product. Within a day or two my blister dried up and the pain and swelling gone. The trick is to use this product immediatly at the first sign you are getting a blister, itching and or a bump and continue to use it until it is gone. I love this product and also always carry it on hand and at home. Definetly better that Abreva.