CatsPets

Why is My Cat Licking It's Fur Off?

My cat is 15 years old. Lately she has started licking off the hair on her hind quarter near and around the tail area. She seems healthy. I have treated her for fleas so I know she has no fleas. She eats good and drinks plenty of water. Any thoughts?

By Rose from Malvern, PA

I would advise taking your cat to the vet. With a cat that old, you could be looking at a serious problem. At the very least, something has irritated the area,or the cat would not be licking that aggressively.

I wonder if it's a hormone inbalance?

My sister's dog, a Westie, has been doing the same thing. The vet says she has a roaring urinary tract infection. I would see a vet.

My cat is licking the fur off her back. It is getting sores and she seems very tender. Has anyone had that trouble? She seems very upset if I go away for a weekend.

By Betty

Answers

Hello. So sorry to hear about your precious Kitty. There are a few things that come to mind about the fur problem. She is either having an anxiety attack because she may feel that you have abandoned her (especially if you leave a lot) or she just might have allergies like my neighbors dog across the street. It could be both. I have had several cats in my life and the last one passed last Father's Day. They all lived to very happy, ripe old ages, for cats.

If you could see the Vet, she may give your baby some Benadryl and that might help a lot. DO NOT do it yourself. After all the animals I have had, I have left "unknowns" to the Vet. I really pray that this at least gives you some idea why she is doing this. Take care. Eileen

Thsi does sound like it might be anxiety. You really will need a Vet to get a good answer. Some things to consider if it is anxiety, is another pet for company when you are gone. A neighbor or pet sitter for visits when she is alone. Enrich her environment with cat furniture (they love a window seat) and toys. Perhaps leave some music or the TV playing. And most important make sure you play with her for a good 20 minutes twice a day. My 'cats love 'Da Bird' and 'Da Mouse'. This regimen will fix a lot of cat problems. Good luck!