AdvicePets

Dogs Barking While In Kennel

All of you have been so helpful before, I hope you can help me again. Because of an unemployment issue, my two dogs have not been kenneled consistently since March the seventh. My husband is working now and they have to be kenneled. they tend to get into trouble when left alone. :)

My husband leaves for work at 8 a.m. I leave for work at 11 a.m. We both work until 9 or 10 p.m. He walks and feeds them before he leaves. I play with them, do housework, and walk them before I go to work. When they are kenneled, they have toys and a radio that plays soft music or the best of the 80's.

My brother stops in on his way home from work around 4 p.m. to feed them and walk them. He usually stays for about an hour. Then they are put back in their kennels. My sister who is staying with us comes home at 6 p.m., she takes care of them until we get home.

The neighbors are complaining that they bark all day while we are not home. I also have a third dog who is not kenneled because she is old enough (age 5 to be trusted, the other two have just turned two, they are full blown teenagers!). Their kennels are close enough that they see one another.

I know it is just getting them back into a routine, but, they are driving one neighbor nuts and she says she will report us. Do you have any suggestions to help us? They are anxious because they are learning a "new" routine. How can I help calm them down?

Betty

Betty, I have large kennels in my home. When the dogs were new, they would get cheese, etc., if they went in the kennel. Also, in the kennel was a thick comfy bed and several baby quilts, with toys, etc.

It was never a problem ... and if they had barked the neighbors would not have heard them. Also, I had peace of mind knowing they were toasty warm in the winters, and cool in the hot weather.

By the way, the dogs are older now, do not have to "go kennel" anymore but they love to sleep or nap in them. The doors are wired open ... they go in on their own.

Just a suggestion to purchase (mine are Kennelaire) the indoor crates until they are old enough to be left in the home alone.

Good luck!

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

From experience, if they are put up and the other dog is left out..they are probably barking at the dog that is out. My sis in law raises dogs and that is usually when hers bark.

i have put ally in the crate and left for short periods of time and came back like 10-15 mins later. she has always done well. i always tell her "i will be right back" whether she understands i just think it is her routine. i put the radio on sometimes.

but the main thing is i go out even in the car and come right back with in a short period of time. i think it reasssures them you will come back.

Can you keep the dogs kenneled inside your house? I agree with ILuvDobes that I feel better leaving the house knowing that my dog is protected from the elements. Your dogs are only being confined from 11am to 4pm, and most dogs (unless they are old and incontinent, which doesn't seem to be an issue for your dogs) can easily hold their peeing and pooping for that long.

As long as they have a comfortable surface to lie on, access to water, and they're not in complete darkness (like in the garage), they should be just fine anywhere inside. You might have to do a bit of rearranging in the house, but it sure beats having the police called on you...

Good luck!

I think that maybe the third dog NOT being kenneled is the problem. Try putting that one in a kennel, too.

Or maybe you can buy your neighbor a new (loud) radio? Earplugs? Just kidding. I'm moving into a neighborhood where a neighbor has 3 or 4 dogs kenneled outside and I may be the neighbor writing to this list very soon asking for advice!

I have an Innotek Bark Collar for our hyper pup....it was the last resort...it was stop the barking or find my pup a different home!!!