Roasted Rotisserie Style Chicken And Gravy

Category Poultry
contest winner icon

I found a recipe at Allrecipes that I just had to try and, of course, had to tweak to my own liking including making gravy while I was at it too ;-) What initially caught my attention is that it called for two small birds rather than one large one. Being that I am a dark meat lover, more legs, thighs and wings when roasting two is perfect for me; plus lots of leftovers to freeze for future use!

This takes a long time to bake but the slow roasting and seasonings makes for a flavorful, tender and juicy fall off the bone chicken. Be sure to serve with mashers dressed with some of the gravy!

• 1 Tbsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. paprika
  • 2 tsp. onion powder
  • 2 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
  • 2 onions, quartered
  • Butter for rubbing, softened
  • 2 (4 lb.) whole roasting chickens
  • 1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
  • 1 Tbsp. cornstarch

Directions:

Mix salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, thyme, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder in a small bowl.

Remove the giblets from the chickens, reserving for future use. Rinse chicken cavities, pat cavities dry and rub each chicken on the outside with butter, then inside and out with the minced garlic and the spice mixture. Place 1 onion into the cavity of each chicken. Double wrap the chickens with plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 to 24 hours.

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

Place chickens in a roasting pan and bake, uncovered, for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours or until internal temperature is 170 degrees F. Remove chickens to a platter, lightly baste, and then let rest for 10 minutes before carving.

While chicken is resting, mix chicken broth and cornstarch until there are no lumps, then add to the pan drippings in the roasting pan and cook, making sure to scrape up any juicy bits on the bottom of the pan, until thickened to your liking.

By Ann from Richland, WA