CatsPets

Cat Swallowing Food Kibbles Whole

My 2 year old cat (with good teeth) used to chew his tiny pieces of dried food (kibble) normally, (we'd hear "crunch-crunch" when he ate). But these days he just swallows the kibble whole. Do your cats also swallow their dried food whole or is something wrong?

Here's a picture of Smokey stalking his prey. He's quite the hunter, last week he caught a baby bunny in our back yard. Thankfully the bunny was okay (after we got him out of Smokey's mouth!)

Cyinda from near Seattle

My sister's cat has a lot of tooth and gum problems and they happen quickly. Maybe your cat needs another check. Hope he will be OK. He's a handsome fella!

Please take your cat to the vet for a check. It is not normal for them to swallow there food whole, maybe use wet food until you can get there. I would go as soon as possible. Good luck!

Did you get another pet? I have 4 cats and they race to finish their meals first. He who eats fastest eats most - and they often swallow their food whole.

The vet just checked my cat's mouth 2 weeks ago & she said it looked okay. And, no, I don't have another cat. He's my only pride & joy (with fur)... He even eats his food whole when I give him kibble from my hand... I'm wondering if the vet may have overlooked something...

Cyinda

I've also wondered the same thing! I have one cat that "crunches", one that is silent, and one that does both. Nothing is wrong with their teeth/gums, I think it's just the way they choose to eat!