AppliancesCleaning

Blue Film on Inside of Dryer

We had a very similar experience to a previous post, but the responses haven't helped us solve the problem. This is the original post info: "We bought a brand new dryer two weeks ago and found a blue film on the inside that won't come off. It wasn't there before. This is the reason we bought a new one because the old one had developed the same stain. It would then transfer to all light colored clothing that we dried. There haven't been any pens, colors, crayons, etc. washed and no new dark blue items. Any ideas what could be causing this?"

By Nathan from UT

Anonymous

Other than the responses in the Archives the only thing I can think of is asking the manufacturer of your dryer. I also must mention that unless this stain is discoloring clothing I truly don't understand why it would matter.

I bought a brand new dryer a month ago and just found a blue film on the inside that won't come off. It wasn't there before. This is the reason we bought a new one because the old one had developed the same stain. It would then transfer to all light colored clothing that I dried. There haven't been any pens, colors, etc. washed and no new dark blue items. Any ideas what could be causing this?

By Kim from Nebraska

Answers:

Blue Film on Inside of Dryer

I think the culprit is fabric softener. I didn't have any new blue jeans either when we bought a new stacked washer and dryer for our RV. It was worse using the fabric softener sheets. But there is still a film building up with the liquid softener. I've tried using "0000" steel wool to take it off, and it works pretty good without harming the enamel in the tub.

(03/27/2009)

By Patricia Taylor

Blue Film on Inside of Dryer

Research and change your fabric softener. (03/28/2009)

By mklema

Blue Film on Inside of Dryer

I add 1/2 cup white vinegar to my rinse water as a fabric softener and to stop static cling. I found the hint on this site. Since I've been using the vinegar I've noticed that I also don't have the gooey buildup from fabric softeners in the fabric softener dispenser. (04/01/2009)

By Scooter