Ice CreamDesserts

Low-Fat Vanilla Ice Cream

Please, can anyone help? My son has egg allergies plus he cannot tolerate too much fat in his food, but he loves vanilla ice cream. Does anyone have a recipe for vanilla ice cream without eggs and preferably made with evaporated or condensed milk instead of cream?

I don't have an ice cream maker so it would have to be a recipe that I can make without one. Thank you so much.

By cett from Malta, Europe

"No Egg" Ice Cream Recipe

2 cups of whipping cream
1 cup of milk (any kind)
1/2 cup of sugar
Flavorings to taste

Add the milk and sugar to a sauce pan and heat and stir gently over medium low, until the sugar has dissolved completely. Turn off the heat and add in the whipping cream.

Thank you so much cali's mom. Does whipping cream have a lot of fat in it, or can I use low fat evaporated milk instead? Do I measure the whipping cream after it's whipped or before (if I can find low fat version)? Seems like a quick and easy recipe to do. The archived version that is on the page - other than yours - unfortunately has egg yolks in it so it's no good to me, but yours seems perfect. Thanks again.

Have you tried a low fat frozen yogurt? It tastes the same, has better ingredients in it that the low fat ice creams and no eggs. There are lots of the products out there, you have to read labels though.

Thanks, quilltmom. Your suggestion is perfect. I've checked the stores and frozen yogurt is not common and very expensive where I live (tiny, independent island in the middle of the Mediterranean), but I'm certain that I could find a recipe somewhere to make it myself. It would solve my problem completely.

You can use Cali's Moms recipe and substitute canned milk for the whipping cream. Just use it straight from the can. If you are making in the freezer of your fridge, be sure to take it out when it has started to freeze around the edges (anytime before it freezes solid) and beat it up good with a fork. or you can use an electric mixer. It will make a more creamy finished product.

Hope this will be a help.

Thanks jsham for your suggestion. It's easier for me to control the fat intake by using low fat evaporated milk for creaminess instead of whipped cream and using cali's moms recipe. We finally managed to purchase a small container of frozen yogurt - took a bit of searching - but my son didn't like it very much so this is a much better idea. Thanks again.

I realize you asked about vanilla ice cream, but I can't resist passing along a tip I read just last week. Disclaimer: I haven't tried this yet myself. Apparently you can make a delicious and very healthy frozen treat by freezing a banana, then processing it in the blender to the consistency of soft-serve ice cream. No need to add anything at all, although you could put in whatever flavorings you wanted.

Low fat Vanilla Ice Cream
1 carton egg substitute (equivalent of 4 eggs)
2 cans fat free evaporated milk
1 can fat free condensed milk
2 cups sugar with 1 Tablespoon flour mixed in
1 Tablespoon vanilla flavoring
Enough fat free milk to fill line of freezer or about 1 quart.
Without ice cream freezer, gently stir 2-3 times during freezing.

I don't have a recipe as I use an ice cream maker, however, I have an ingredient suggestion that I've used. Low-fat, non-dairy creamer. You can even get it already flavored.

Hey, chloeA. The frozen banana idea is great to have as a try out as well. Especially since I've always got leftover blackened-skin bananas that nobody wants to eat. Thanks for your idea.

Source: Taste of Home Magazine

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 4 cups fat free half and half
  • 2 egg yolks, beaten
  • 3 tsp. vanilla

Directions

In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add half and half; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until mixture reaches 160 degrees F and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes.

Transfer to a bowl. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Fill cylinder of ice cream maker two thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Allow to ripe in ice cream freezer or firm up in the refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Answers: