TablesFurniture

Shiny Spots on Wood Table

Category Tables

I got a brand new coffee table and tried to fix a very tiny dent using a iron. I made a huge mistake. It left a hot iron mark and I tried to fix that with an olive oil and baking soda mix. It got a little better.

Now that place looks shinier than the rest of the table. Even though it is not so visible when you look, it is obvious when I look at an angle.

I need help fixing it. Did the shine came from the olive oil and baking soda mix? Please help.

By HK

Super blush retarder by mohawk works like magic. I had shiny spots on my table and this completely took them away. I sprayed it on the entire table and the table is perfect now.

I recently removed white heat marks on my dining room table, after reading the suggestions on this website. First, I tried using the mayo and baking soda, with lots of elbow grease. It removed most of the white spots, but now the spots are super shiny. It almost looks like that part of the table has been polished.

I ended up trying the wax paper, towel, and iron which removed the rest of the spots without any problem at all. I wish I had tried it first. Is there anyway to remove the shiny spots and return them to the original finish?

Melissa from Knoxville, TN

Answers:

Shiny Spots on Wood Table

Does the shine bother you or that they are shiny "spots"? If it's the shiny spots bothering you why not just shine up the entire table to where it has an even polish? (03/11/2009)

By Deeli

Shiny Spots on Wood Table

Use either some super fine sand paper for auto refinishing, at least 600 grit, or finer, maybe up to 1000 grit. You could also try some "0000" steel wool, available at any home improvement, hardware, or Walmart stores. The sand paper can usually be purchased at any auto paints store by the sheet. The steel wool usually comes in a package of 12, but it can be used for a lot of things, like polishing or cleaning stainless steel cookware, cleaning stove tops, etc., or maybe even taming shiny spots on wooden table tops. Good luck.

Pat T. in Nevada (03/11/2009)

By patom