GrowingFood Tips

Frugal Eating From The Wild

Get acquainted with the "wild" ones. Lamb's quarters grow wherever the ground has been disturbed, including your vegetable garden. Ask any farmer what to look for or get a reference book. They are more nutritious than just about any other "greens". I put the leaves in a soup kettle with enough water to cover the bottom and cook on low till tender. Drain (drink the cooking water) and add balsamic vinegar to taste, a pat of butter or splash of olive oil, and a tad of sugar. They taste better than any other of that type of food. Guests compliment the dish every time I serve it. They can also be added to soups.

Stinging nettle can be served in the same manner, but the leaves must be stripped off the plant with leather gloves as there are prickly pieces along the stem that can irritate the skin. When cooked, they are dissolved and harmless. These are also very tasty, as well as extremely nutritious.

My husband and I are 67 years old and neither of us take any medications. I say, "eat the wild ones," otherwise known as preventive medicine.

Source: Wild Ones field guide and a friend knowledgeable in plants in the wild.

By Anne from Green Bay, WI