MiscellaneousHome Improvement

Counter Top Refinishing

Category Miscellaneous

We are trying to update our home on a budget. The kitchen has white counter tops, but a green edge around it. I am trying to get rid of the green in my kitchen. I can not afford to have it professional done. Does anybody have any ideas on how I can change the color myself?

Linda from Texas

By jim (Guest Post)

Take a hair dryer and heat up the laminated edge, carefully remove the green edge. DO NOT get the edge very hot as the laminate will bubble and burn.

Clean the edge, then use contact cement to put the new edge back on.. Home Depot / Menards carry replacement laminate.

By Sheryl (Guest Post)

Lilghtly sand the countertops to "rough them up a bit," then paint the counter-tops with Zinssers Water Based primer. After the primer dries, paint with two coats of whaterever latex paint you want. Follow-up with a coat, or two of polyurethene. I would use the sponge type roller.

By cindy bishop (Guest Post)

I have a faux marble sink and counter top all one piece and I would like to refinish or paint it

By Karenbeilm@comcast.net (Guest Post)

How do you put new laminate over old laminate on the counters in the kitchen? Can I do this myself, and is it faily easy? Thanks, Karen

By Jerry (Guest Post)

OMG! Don't use water based latex paint as someone else has suggested. If it ever chips or scratches (inevitable), latex paint does not withstand sanding well and any repairs will be difficult to do. Sand the surface with a palm sander and no more than 120 grit paper, then clean it with Trisodium Phosphate. After that, use an oil base primer, such as Zinsser. You may want to have this tinted to match the finish coat if the finish coat is anything other than off white.

Then put on a durable oil base paint of your choice. Two or more coats will likely be necessary, especially with decorative finishes. Then put a protective coat of your choice that is made to use over oil base paints. This finish will never be as durable as the original laminate, so break yourself of any old bad habits that you may have and always use cutting boards and pot holders after installation.