WindowsHome Improvement

Condensation On Windows

Why would my new double pane windows sweat only along the bottom two inches?

By JUDI from ME

Too much moisture in the house. I also have double pane windows that do the same thing. The moisture is on the glass when I wake in the morning. Mostly when the temp is low outside and inside is low. I have to wipe the windows with a paper towel several times in the morn.

Increasing the heat in the house helps eliminate the moisture. When the windows are dry I spray some wax on those areas that get wet to protect the wood. Home repairs experts recommend opening the windows twice a day to let the moisture escape. I tried putting plastic over the inside windows and shrinking the plastic to a nice tight fit but the moisture was there the next morning. Fox from Maine

Humidity will still collect on the window glass which is cooler than the air. At least you know your air isn't overly dry as it is in many homes during the winter.

Don't let it get too bad though because you can grow mildew.