Edging and Trimming Your Lawn

To save time and money trimming and edging the grass along your sidewalks and driveway (and you will likely throw away the old trimmer), simply drop one side of the the wheels on your walk behind lawnmower mower all the way down until that side barely touches the solid surface of your sidewalk/driveway. Keep the high side in the grass when you mow. Follow the edge as you mow.

This will provide a clean cut and tapered edge that looks as nice as anything a string cutter or edger can do and it's quick! Remember to reset the wheels when you are done. If your grass is 3 inches high you may need to do this in two cuts over two mowings, the first lowering being only halfway down in order not to scalp the lawn. I always edge this way before cutting and the bag on my mower even cleans up the cuttings.

By Jim from Auburn, OH

Good idea, Jim. I've done this for years. The results look much better than with a weed eater. Too bad for me. I had to buy a new mower. One lever changes the height of both sides. Can't get that nice beveled look, now.