Uses for Cigarette Ash

I'm wondering if anyone has ideas of what to do with cigarette ash. My elderly mother is a heavy smoker and while I was emptying another, full, ashtray, it occurred to me that perhaps the cigarette ash itself may be useful for another purpose.

There is no point in preaching to my mum about smoking because I'm completely ignored. Is there anybody with ideas of how to recycle the horrible stuff?

By Cettina from Malta, Europe

1. Use it to polish silver with a damp cloth dipped in the ash.

2. Put it on your house plants, mix into the soil a little.

3. Put it on the garden.

Why, thank you kemperjl! I didn't think it had any uses. At least now I can store it in a sealed jar until I have a good amount and use it for something! Thank you again.

Empty cigarette butts and ash into a lidded container and add enough water to cover, let stand for a few days and drain off the liquid. Dilute this liquid in a watering can and water into the garden. It works like a fertilizer because of the chemicals in the butts and ash. Amazing results.

OTHER sites - (a Garden -ing site n particular) SPECIALLY DOES NOT RECOMMEND Cigarette ash!? B'Cuz of some plant virus that the tobacco processing doesn't kill. -SO what's the likelihood of this virus affecting/killing my plants? It Also States SOME plants thrive w'WOOD ash, SOME DON'T DO AS WELL -DON'T USE ASH ON THEM - -SO people I SUGGEST MORE RESEARCH B4 U try THIS 1 on ALL Ur plants. TRY -MAYBE on SOME plants or if u have 2 starts of same? Use it on HALF the row n Ur Garden? I WANT 2 TRY This, (I'm a bit scared- I don't have a Garden spot 2 TRY On, just a few Herb's n apartment kitchen, can't add 2 lose those darn it! I was look'n 4 something 2do w'cig ashes 2! (I'd ALREADY separated mine from the filters, WOULD JUST THE ASH work as well?

jbeing, what an excellent idea! Thank you so much for such a brilliant tip.

I have just read a news that scientists are trying to use cig.ash for seprating arsenic (poison) from water, but it would be very costly method, so they may use aluminium with cig.ash to lower the cleaning cost.

Another uses of cig ash is use in mobile batteries and concrete but its in research process.