Cleaning Hands After Gardening

Tips for cleaning your hands, post your ideas.

I can't take credit for this, I read it in one of my Gardening Magazines, but it works great! If you are like me and dig around in the soil with no gloves on? To get you hands and nails super clean, just wash them in some OXI Clean. It does not dry your hands out any more than regular soap, and I always use a bit of hand lotion after I wash my hands anyway! Hope this works for you as great as it does for me.

By Rosa

By Leona (Guest Post)

Like you I don't like to use gloves when I garden.
What I do is, before I go out I scratch my nails into a bar of soap.When I'm done I just wash up and no scrubbing my nails.

While visiting my dad, I noticed a bar of good old fashioned Lava soap in the bathroom. Lava soap followed by a good moisturizer works well.

An easy way to clean up outside, AND use up soap slivers is to put them in a knee-hi or stocking and tie it near the end of your hose or spigot.

The soap goes through-no problem, and doesn't have to sit and make a slimy mess anywhere!

By Elizabeth K

I use the Orange hand cleaner you see in the automotive section. In fact , its the generic version. It comes in a huge(gallon) bottle with a pump and its around $6. I have been using this same jug for about 2 years, and i farm and garden all year long so its been used alot. But it works and smells good.

By Doodle (Guest Post)

I do not know about oxi but what I do know is what lies in my kitchen. I hate gloves and like to get my hands dirty so after gardening i squirt some Realemon Juice on my hands and nails and rub in water them then use ordinary soap the effect is INSTANT "It works like a charm"

By Becky (Guest Post)

Just because it was the only thing I had, I used the Realemon. It was amazing!! It even got the soil out of the cracks on my fingers. Thanks for the great solution!!

I found on a post under "homemade goop" grate regular bar soap and mix with an equal amount of borax. Put in a shaker (or I use an old single serve yogurt) Water on hands and rub it in!

They sell this next to the hand cleaners as Borateem (or similar in name) for a dollar. I made up the same amount for 20 cents!

By Rosie (Guest Post)

I wear rubber gloves for gardening. They are waterproof and keep your hands clean. They make your hands sweat. This conditions dry hands.

By Z_Marilla (Guest Post)

I use the soap method, just get soap under your nails and all you have to do is wash your hands afterwards. If you forget, just use a toothpick (or a piece of paper folded to a blunt point) to carefully clean under your nail. I tried the oxiclean once, it left my hands terribly, terribly dry for a couple of days. I don't recommend it unless you have a good moisturizer on hand.