Brown Paper Bagging Wallpapered Walls

I am currently looking to brown paper bag the walls in my living room. Can you tell me if you can do this procedure over existing wallpaper?

Julie from Cameron, TX

I have never seen it done on walls, but a long time ago, I saw it done in a small ice cream shop in Old San Diego. The worker would tear the pieces in "flagstone" irregular shapes, then slightly brown the eges. This let him overlap the piece on the floor already, for a "random look". which he glued down. Then, when everything was dry, he poured resin over it. This was, of course, for a floor. I would make sure you can google or get some really good advice befor you do this. If you are sucsessful, let us all see how it worked?
PS: You may want to try it on an old piece of sheetrock before you tackle a wall??

Sounds interesting! Please send pictures of the end results. Tx. Jann

I don't know specifically about brown paper bagging, but I do know that you can wallpaper over wallpaper, as long as it isn't vinyl or some fancy flocked stuff. I would think you could glue the brown paper right overtop of the existing wallpaper, using whatever glue you intended to use. It also might make it easier to remove this in the future if you got tired of it.

I saw them do it on tv once.But forgot all about it.It looked really cool. Here's a HOW-TO : http://www.bozz … nnyeManning.html Good luck!

For anyone who is contemplating brown paper treatment over existing wallpaper, I have found it to be easier to lose the wallpaper. It does not adhere to the wallpaper.
Thanks so much for the feedback, I do appreciate your help! Project is still in process.

I used this technique in my entry. There were over 4 layers of old wallpaper. I chose to remove because they were lifting. If your wallpaper is in good shape, it should be ok. But I'd suggest sizing it first.