Problems Making Scalloped Potatoes

I used a new recipe for scalloped potatoes yesterday and the potatoes never did get done/soft. I used baking potatoes with a mixture of cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, and thinly sliced onions. I baked this mixture for an hour and then baked it again for another 45 minutes. Does anyone know what happened?

By Gelene from Rotonda West, FL

Anonymous
Best Answer

A lot of new recipes I try don't turn out as they should, so my bet is that you didn't do anything wrong. If you like the taste of that scalloped potato recipe and want to make them again, you can wash the potatoes, leave the skins on, poke a few holes in each potato with a fork and microwave them a few minutes. Let them cool then peel and slice them then follow the recipe to put the dish together. That way you know the potatoes will be done when the baking time is up.

Same thing happened. We cooked all day and they never got right. It is the potatoes. They looked kinda green on the outside. Probably not ready to sell.

Anonymous

I slice the potatoes a little thicker and then boil the potatoes 15 mins drain and then all then rest on the to the potatoes and cook for 1 hour because I have that happen to me a few times never will it happen any more

I have always boiled my potatoes 15 mins then add the sauce and then bake until done

Best Answer

I've always added milk to my scalloped potatoes and suggest you try. It isn't just the sauce that helps add flavor, but a bit of liquid is necessary to cook tender. Try the recipe again and use some milk with it.

Best Answer

you don't have enough fluid on them. You have chosen plenty of fats but that does not does not help. That is your over flavor without moisture.

I use a can of cream of chicken soup, 2 cans of milk per one can of soup. Should almost cover all sliced potatoes with this. I take a little ham stock juice from the freezer and drop into this, I don't use additional spices. Cover with foil. This takes about 1 hr at 350.

This came from my husband's eldery aunt. Never fail escalloped potato!

Best Answer

Actually that isn't the recipe for scalloped potatoes. Scalloped is sliced potatoes, salt, pepper, butter, and flour sprinkled over the top. Then milk to cover. Cook until the potatoes are soft and the milk is almost cooked down. Anything else is a variation. If you add cheese that is au graton. However if you want to use the recipe you sent, add enough milk to keep the potatoes moist until they are soft.

Best Answer

The potatoes should be sliced very thin. Layer the potatoes then dobble some butter, salt & pepper, chopped onions &sprinkle a little flour, repeat this until you fill the bowl. I use milk and cream of mushroom soup and pour that over the top and bake covered for about an hour and a half or so they are yum. You can also brown some pork chops and lay them on the top.

Another recipe I had with scalloped potatoes is with cabbage, you just add some shredded cabbage to each layer with the above ingredients, it's awesome. I believe the recipe was called pig in a poke.

I precook my potatoes and don't have a problem.

I surely should have done that. I baked my scalloped potatoes for 4 hours.They stayed kind of crunchy. The potatoes were a little green. I used plenty of liquid. Bummer! Thanks for the post!

Actually, the real answer is that sometimes, potatoes just don't cook. They are ones grown / harvested in particularly cold weather, and for some reason, they don't ever get soft. one can check this out by googling something like "why don't potatoes get soft" and an answer from a potatoes growers' association will appear. For scalloped potatoes, for example, the potatoes don't have to be sliced REALLY thin, they don't have to be pre-boiled, no tricks are required. Only good luck in not buying these strange potatoes. Ususally they are something like Norkota (sp?) potatoes from Idaho, the bags must be marked with type of potato. Another entry for your "Yay, it wasn't my fault" journal.

Anonymous

Yes, it could be the type of potato you use. I've used Idaho spuds or baker type potatoes and had no problem. But one time I used Red Potatoes and they never cooked through and never thickened up. I was told by a produce buyer it is because there is more water content and less starch in Red Potatoes than the Idaho/baker potatoes.