Cooking TipsFood Tips

Stirring Tips for Cooking in a Skillet

When I stir liquids in my shallow waterless cookware skillets, I find that there is more accidental splashing on to the stove top than with the other brand of pots I previously used. Any stirring suggestions? Thanks.

Holly from Richardson, TX

Perhaps use a small spatula and carefully pull the liquids to the center to stir.

Take a large spoon, bigger than a tablespoon, bigger than a serving spoon. Pour the liquid onto the reverse side of the spoon; not the hollowed out part of the spoon which you would normally use to serve something, but the other side of the spoon. Pour slowly and you should have no more (or have less!) problems with splashing.

Is the splashing from pouring the water in, or because you've poured cold water into a hot pan? Try heating the water to boiling in the microwave before pouring it into the pan. Since waterless cookware heats the entire pan evenly, the liquid may just sizzle more.

I'm always very careful about adding a little hot liquid, immediately putting the lid on until the liquid quits sizzling so hard, then pouring the remaining liquid in. This works for me, but all pans are different as are stove tops.