Skillet Dinner Recipes

Category Main Dishes
Skillet Meal
Skillet dinners are generally quick and easy to make; just what you need at the end of a busy day. This page contains skillet dinner recipes.

• 1 to 1-1/2 lbs. ground meat
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1-2 carrots, diced
  • 1 can stewed tomatoes (or diced tomatoes)
  • 1 can Rotel
  • 1 large can pinto or kidney beans (or cut corn)
  • 1/2 tsp. chili powder - optional
  • shredded cheese of your choice (for topping)

Directions:

Brown meat and onion together, drain grease if necessary. Add carrots, tomatoes, and Rotel. Simmer until carrots are tender. (about 15 minutes) Add beans. Heat thoroughly and serve with cornbread.

You can also enjoy this over cooked egg noodles or rice.

Servings: 6-8
Prep Time: 10- 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20-30 Minutes

Source: my own, opening cans is my specialty these days. ;-)

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

Quick and easy. What could be better?

Directions:

Wash and scrub one potato, peel if you want, I don't, cut into 1/2 inch squares, fry for a couple of minutes. If you use hash browns, add the same time as hamburger.

Add hamburger. Fry for a couple of minutes, then add the onion.

Cook until potatoes and hamburger are done, then add slightly beaten eggs.Mix in and cook just until done.

We like to serve with toast. This was my father-in-law's favorite supper.

Servings: 2
Time:5 minutes Minutes Preparation Time
10 Minutes Cooking Time

By latrtatr from Loup City, NE

This was created one night of things on hand and became a family favorite.

• 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
  • 1/2 onion, diced (or green onions)
  • 1 can Ranch Style beans
  • 1 can whole corn
  • grated cheddar cheese
  • corn chips
  • lettuce (salad ready)
  • tomato, diced
  • sour cream or mayonnaise (optional)

Directions:

Brown beef (or turkey) in skillet along with onions, drain. Add beans and corn. Cook about 15 minutes till well heated. Sprinkle with liberally with cheese. Just before serving, add corn chips, lettuce and tomato. (Some like to add sour cream or mayonnaise)

Is good reheated if chips, lettuce and tomato are added per serving the day before!

Servings: 4-6
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 Minutes

By Linda from Fort Smith, AR

This is a great-tasting, hearty, one-dish meal.

• 1 can green beans
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced onions
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 2 slices bread
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 Tbsp. shortening
  • 3 cups diced white potatoes

Directions:

Drain beans, saving the liquid. If there isn't 1 1/2 cups liquid, add water to make 1 1/2 cups.

Pour milk into a 4 cup bowl and break the bread into milk. When bread has absorbed the milk, add ground beef, and salt. Mix well and shape into patties; roll in flour.

Brown in skillet and add onions cooking slowly until onions are brown. Add the bean liquid and heat to boiling. Add potatoes, seasoned with salt and pepper.

Cover and cook slowly until potatoes are tender. Add beans and cover. Heat thoroughly.

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: varies - until heated through thoroughly

By Robin from Washington, IA

Love the potatoes and cheese soup in this quick and easy Cheddarburger Skillet recipe.

Combine first 8 ingredients in large bowl. Shape into meatballs, and roll in flour. Brown in hot oil in skillet over medium heat. Remove from heat and drain off fat. Arrange meatballs around side of skillet.

Put all ingredients, except rice, in a large skillet. Mix. Cook over medium heat until mixture is bubbling around the edges. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Serve over rice.

Does anyone have any super easy skillet meal recipes that don't use so much cheese? Thanks.

By Janet from GA

Answer Was this helpful? 3
Best Answer

What a fun challenge!

1. Fritata

This is basically scrambled eggs with stuff you like added.

You make it by sauteing the stuff you like for example potatoes and ham and then adding the scrambled eggs and cooking until done...add some shredded cheese and yum. There are so many variations to fritata...have fun.

2. Basic Skillet Dinner

There are so many ways this can be done, the basic guidelines are:

Meat: canned chicken, tuna, ham or fresh meats

veggie: onions, garlic, peppers, whatever you like

starch: potatoes, noodles, rice, barley, ramen package, mac & cheese package

Liquid: Wine, broth, water, milk, bottled sauces, package sauce mixes

Seasonings: get creative

Mix and match these ingredients to make many wonderful creations. When working with rice, I saute the meat and veggies until cooked, add the rice so it saute's a little too, then add as much liquid as the rice will need to finish cooking.

When working with pasta, add it last with the hottest tap water or microwave heated wine and broth. Cook until tender and add additional sauce for example spaghetti sauce if making spaghetti with meat sauce.

I hope my directions and ideas are clear. Let me know if they aren't.

Best Answer

1/2 head green cabbage, cut in thin slices

1 large onion, cut in thin slices

1/2 polish sausage from loop type package sliced in rounds, or 1/2 pound bulk sausage any flavor, or 1/2 pound ground beef

4 T butter(1/2 stick)

4 T olive or vegetable oil

1 electric fry pan

Soy sauce

Brown bulk sausage or ground beef in pan, and drain most of grease, leaving enough to coat the bottom of the pan. If using polish sausage, melt butter and oil together and brown. If using other meats, put meat back in pan after melting butter and oil together. Add cabbage and onions, stirring to coat veggies with the meat-butter oil mixture. Add soy sauce to taste, and stir to coat. Let cook, stirring occasionally until veggies are as soft as you like them.

Serve as is, or with rice. Serves 2 as is, or 4 with rice. At least it does for my family.

This can be made with any shredded veggies that you like. They must be in long shreds to work though. I have used carrots, potatoes, escarole, parsnips. You can add greens such as spinach or mustard greens near the end, stirring to coat and just until wilted.

Best Answer

I saw this lady on GMA one morning, 95 years old. Later I bought her cookbook called 'Clara's Kitchen'. this is the skillet recipe she prepared. It's good!

Poor Man's Meal

3 potatoes, peeled and cubed

1 medium to large onion, sliced

4 hot dogs, cut in slices

1/4 cup tomato sauce (I use salsa)

4 Tablespoons oil

1. Heat the oil in skillet, place cubed potatoes and sliced onion in oil. Let the potatoes brown slowly, stirring occasionally.

2. Pour a little water in the pan to help soften the potatoes and to keep them from sticking to the pan.

3. When the potatoes are crisp and golden brown on all sides, add the hot dogs and let simmer about 3 minutes, or until they begin to curl. Add the tomato sauce and turn off the heat. let the meal cook in it's own heat for about 5 minutes.

4. Serve immediately, topped with Pecorino Romano cheese, if desired.

Best Answer

Brown a pound of ground beef with some chopped onion. Drain the grease. Add 2 cans of plain pork and beans (store brand works fine). Season with Worcestershire sauce, mustard, brown sugar (couple of tablespoons each) and barbecue sauce to taste. Heat and eat!

I recently moved into an efficiency apartment and only have a skillet, for stove top cooking. So I need help from anyone with recipes and meals that are easily made in one pan. I am tired of eating out all the time, so anything will help.

By Roy from Amarillo, TX

Answers:

Quick and Easy Skillet Dinner

You could keep frozen hash browns on hand. Either add some chopped up frankfurters or browned hamburger to them along with some diced onion, maybe some garlic or garlic powder, whatever other spices you might like, and your vegetable of choice, and you have a meal in one pan. Go to sites like recipeczar.com and look for skillet recipes. (12/29/2009)

By redhatterb

Quick and Easy Skillet Dinner

You can adapt almost any stir-fry recipe to be cooked in a skillet instead of a wok. To make it easier, you can buy a stir-fry vegetable mix in the frozen vegetable section of your grocery store. (12/29/2009)

By Patty Lynn

Quick and Easy Skillet Dinner

In addition to a skillet, go and get a toaster oven (one that bakes and broils). Mine cost around $45 and was well worth every penny spent. It came with a cookie sheet, a loaf pan, and a rack. I lined each of these with aluminum foil to keep it clean. My toaster oven holds 9 X 9 inch pans. Between my skillet, toaster oven, small microwave, and my Fry Daddy, I have not found anything that I can't prepare that the old fashioned stove does. All of these items together do not take up much room. (12/29/2009)

By notwrong

Quick and Easy Skillet Dinner

What a fun challenge.

Fritatta

You make it by sauteing the stuff you like for example, potatoes and ham and then adding the scrambled eggs and cooking until done. Add some shredded cheese and yum. There are so many variations to fritatta. Have fun.

Basic Skillet Dinner

• Meat: canned chicken, tuna, ham, or fresh meats

• Veggie: onions, garlic, peppers, whatever you like
  • Starch: potatoes, noodles, rice, barley, Ramen package, mac and cheese package
  • Liquid: Wine, broth, water, milk, bottled sauces, package sauce mixes
  • Seasonings: get creative

Mix and match these ingredients to make many wonderful creations. When working with rice, I saute the meat and veggies until cooked, add the rice so it sautes a little too, then add as much liquid as the rice will need to finish cooking.

I hope my directions and ideas are clear. Let me know if they aren't. (12/30/2009)

By Carly34

Quick and Easy Skillet Dinner

Go to Campbell's Soup website and sign up for their newsletter, many 5 ingredient skillet type recipes there. Betty Crocker, Kraft, and Recipe Lion are all good websites for simple recipes. Good luck. (12/30/2009)

By shotpusher

Quick and Easy Skillet Dinner

Here's an easy one. Salt and pepper two pork chops and then brown in your skillet, once they are brown pour a can of cream of mushroom (or your choice of cream of soup) over them and cook for about 15 minutes. Yum. (12/30/2009)

By soccermomx5

Quick and Easy Skillet Dinner

I lived for many years in a very small area such as you describe and found that having a single hot plate was almost a necessity. You many times need to boil water for pasta, beans, eggs, etc. and it is difficult to do this without a burner of some sort.

They now have convection/microwave combinations that save space and work great for both features.
I found one of those "instant pasta cookers" at a yard sale for $2.00 and it just uses very hot water (heat water in microwave if necessary) and just let it stand. Do not use water from your hot water faucet as this may not be safe, not sure?

I have helped to set up dorms for grand kids and they just love this sort of thing.
(12/31/2009)

By cybergrannie

Quick and Easy Skillet Dinner

Here's a great fast dish everyone will love. Slice a pack or 1/2 a pack of Hillshire Farms polish sausage, put in pan, and saute. Add a bag of frozen stir-fry veggies once the polish sausage starts to brown a bit. Once the veggies are thawed, add some Kikkoman Teriyaki Baste and Glaze to the pan. (add as little or as much as you like to taste). Then serve. It takes all of 5 minutes to make and goes great with rice. (01/04/2010)

By av8rs3

Quick and Easy Skillet Dinner

Get a wok and thousands of easy and delicious one-pot meals will result. (01/05/2010)

By Yankeedog

Quick and Easy Skillet Dinner

Here is a favorite in my family, my mother's recipe. It is very easy to do in one skillet, you will just need to let it stew longer so that the carrots and potatoes are soft. I do them separately so it is faster, but I used to cook it all together:

thriftyfun.com

There are many one pot skillet dishes here on ThriftyFun and elsewhere. I might invest in a soup pot or saucepan, unless your skillet has very high sides. I also highly recommend stir fries. You can probably mimic them in the skillet instead of a wok, as was suggested. The big trick to stir fries is to get the pan very hot.

Good luck. Let us know how it is going and what worked for you. (01/05/2010)

By jess

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 pounds ground beef or turkey
  • small onion, chopped
  • 1 can Ranch Style Beans
  • 1 small can whole kernel corn
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • lettuce
  • corn chips
  • shredded cheese

Directions

Brown beef in skillet, add onions halfway through. (Drain if you prefer) Add beans and corn, simmer till hot. Remove from heat, toss in tomato, lettuce, and corn chips. Top with cheese and serve.

By Linda from Fort Smith, AR