AdviceDogs

My Dog Is Overweight

Can you please help me? My little Chihuahua is over weight and she only eats chicken and liver. She is 15 months old.

By Martha

Does she eat liver and chicken that you have cooked? Or liver and chicken dog foods? If it is dog food, do notgo by the recommendations on the label for quantity. I swear they will all make dogs fat if you do that. (I have a very physically active dog that even at her peak, never was given much more than half of their recommended amount!)

If you're using dog foods, you can try a light version offered by the same manufacturer, and decrease quantities.
If you cook for your dog, start adding in other things gradually (like rice, green beans, carrots), a little bit at a time, until you are adding a fair bit of lower calorie stretcher. It will also make your dog's diet more balanced. I expect you can find the proportions online, or by calling your vet.

It is important to cut down the amount your pup eats. Treats are another calorie laden problem. See if your pup likes pieces of baby carrot. Most dogs do, and they make a great low-calorie snack.
Just like with people, the key is to lower the amount of calories your dog is taking in and increase the pup's activity level. Add an extra walk. And be very careful not to add a lot of fat when you cook, no butter, and very little oil.

Good luck! You're doing the right thing, and prolonging your dog's life!

I have 2-4# chis. They use to eat only chicken, but got them onto eating doggie casserole. 6 cups of rice cooked, mixed veggies and about a pound of cooked chicken? I grind the chicken and veggies up, then mix it all up.Then I put out Professional Dog food Rice and Chicken. They get about a 1/3 c. off the doggie casserole a day.

My dog is very overweight and I can't get her to lose weight. What should I do?

Morgan from Ontario, Canada

Answers:

My Dog Is Overweight

Bring her to the vet. They can do a simple blood test and first find out if she has a thyroid issue - which can be brought under control with a very inexpensive medicine. It may not be your dog's fault (or yours). If they determine nothing is wrong, they'll be able to advise you on how to address the issue. (01/09/2007)

By CarlaJS

My Dog Is Overweight

She may need more exercise. Also, doggy treats are very fattening.. (01/11/2007)

By Sue

My Dog Is Overweight

My sweetie is too! I've been able to see a visible difference since going to a "better" dry food instead of the easy canned dog food. Her vet is also happy to see the difference, although less $$ for him! Ha!

We use Iams. She eats less, is more active, and her coat is very shiny. There is visible weight loss as well and at 13+ years, very impressive! She still "expects" treats - that was one of the problems to being with, she trained us very well! (01/11/2007)

By Streatch