Permanent Marker on a Vinyl Floor

My two year old decided she wanted to color all over the kitchen floor with blue permanent marker. We have tried everything: Comet, bleach, Magic Eraser, finger nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, bug spray "OFF", hairspray, and peroxide. Nothing is working. Anyone got any other ideas?

By Kristy from Slidell, LA

Best Answer

My three year old son had the exact same artistic juices flowing your daughter had, only mine used black permanent marker on very light beige flooring. Our problem was we didn't have a chance to try to clean it up right away so it was really set in! First, we used a steam mop--no good. Then we used a Magic Eraser (which worked beautifully on the crayon and permanent marker he decided to use on my wood surfaces!), no good. then I tried something called "Everything and the Kitchen Sink" which is all natural and not abrasive. Also, no good. Then I went to this website and another website where I found the most impossibly easy solution to the problem, and it worked! Whitening toothpaste!! We used Crest Whitening toothpaste with Scope, a scotch brite sponge (the scratchy side), hot water and a little bit of elbow grease and it came up in no time. I couldn't believe it! And, our kitchen now smells minty fresh to boot! :-)

Thank you!!

Best Answer

Had my three year old mark my vinyl floor this morning with black permanant marker and the only thing that worked leaving no marks behind was: Scrubbing Bubbles Mega Foam for Shower. I was amazed!

Did you try the hand gel yet? You might also try "goof off". Good luck!

I have used Shaklee's Liquid At Ease to get permanent marker off floors and counter tops. It works really well. It is expensive, but a bottle lasts a long time.

WD40? It is supposed to be good for all sorts of things. Only try a small spot at first though, as it is very smelly, and also a lubricant, so it will make the floor slippery. I haven't tried it, but it was all I could think of. Permanent marks are called "permanent" for a reason, aren't they!

I used to sell flooring. The best thing to do is call the manufacturer. If they cannot tell you then it might be under warranty (obviously crayon wouldn't) and if you use other things to get stains out it may void the warranty. You could also patch the space if you have some left over vinyl. Good luck.

Anonymous

Wd40