Photographing Spider Webs

I need to have advice on how to take photos of spider webs. Does anyone have any tips that work? Nothing has been turning out for me.

Blessings.

By Robyn Fed from Tri-Cities, TN

Best Answer

I've had the best luck early in the morning when they are covered with dew, and the sun is hitting them at an angle. Beautiful -

Best Answer

You should consider using flash to illuminate the web and bring out detail in the spider's body. If you only use the available light, the web and spider may be rendered quite dark.

You may also consider using a mist bottle to spray a fine mist of water on the web, to create a dew effect. If the web was outdoors, you could just shoot it early in the day when it is coated in morning dew, but you can suffice. In a heads-up to ethics, you should wait until the spider is off the web before you soak it with water, as not to drown it. In addition, you can try side- or back-lighting the web to create a lovely effect, much like what you would get if it was outdoors and lit by the sun. Also if possible use manual focus.

I have spritzed them with water in order to make them show up better; just using a hand pump container (like Windex bottle).

Spraying with water to high-light them, then put something dark behind the to reveal their beauty will help. I tried this and it works.