Paper Training vs Yard Training for a Puppy

I have a Pomeranian that just turned 5 months old. I have always crated him and then paper-trained him rather than going outside. I just don't want him outside too often and the paper method is convenient for me.

My question is: Is one method (paper training or yard training) better than the other? I just want someone else to voice their opinion or tell me their experiences. Thanks.

By Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA

Personally I prefer yard training. But that is what's best for me and my dogs. What's best for you and yours is completely up to you.
Have you considered checking into the "puppy pads" that look like squares of grass? My next dogs after the ones I have pass away (I know, sounds terrible to be thinking ahead like that, but mine are both getting pretty old) will be toy size, and I am thinking of using them along with the yard training. Here's the web site for them: http://www.porchpotty.com/

I personally prefer yard training as I don't won't my dogs to think that going in the house is appropriate any time. But if you must be away for more hours than they can go, it would make sense to make an area available to them.