RepairingClothing

Fixing Elastic In Knee High Hosiery

Category Repairing

Does anyone have suggestions for fixing elastic in knee high hosiery for women? I have several pair that have not been worn but the elastic is loose from being exposed to changing temperatures. I don't want to throw them them out but they slip down to may ankles after walking for only about 5 minutes.

Janet from Rochester, NY

I know exactly what you are talking about. What I did was make some elastic bands out of 1/2 inch elastic. This is what people used before panty hose. They are called garters.

You could just slip over them while on your leg the thin round hair ties that people wear in there hair for pony tails or rubber bands, both are similar in color not very visible.

I have used loose larger rubber bands - and you can also make your own "garters" from strips of old panyhose which you tie on!

I must be the senior in our group as I remember my mother just twisting the tops of her "stockings" and tucking the "knot" inside. You don't really need any elastic bands of any kind. You pull the top out until it's tight against your leg (knee-high or thigh-high) then twist it to form a sort of knot and tuck it inside the stocking next to your leg. The knot will keep it nice and snug. I sure hope I've been able to explain this so that it will help you. It's just the most simple of all remedies for the problem.

All the best,
Julia in Orlando, FL