Washing Suede

I have a brown suede skirt that I LOVE but when I took it to have it dry-cleaned, they wanted $50! I don't love it enough to spend a couple hundred dollars a year to clean it. I thanked the woman behind the counter but said, "No Thanks." She told me to wash the skirt as usual with detergent then add three or four times the normal amount of fabric softener. Let it hang to dry. It worked beautifully! A quick brush with a suede brush and it was just like new.

Caution: the dry cleaner told me this trick doesn't always work and can ruin some suede, especially if they're brightly dyed. But if it's chuck it or try it - TRY IT.

By Dene from Vancouver, BC

I had a beautiful suede full length coat that I absolutely loved. When I took it to the drycleaners and paid a fortune to have it cleaned, they ruined the color. When I complained about the different color they told me that the process they used always took the color out and they had to redye it. It also came back smaller than when it went in. I could still wear it, but pretty much kept it in the closet unworn for many years before finally giving it to Salvation Army. Unless they have changed the dry cleaning process in the last few years, I wouldn't recommend that anyone send their suede clothes to the dry cleaners.