EnergyConservation

Dry Clothes Outside

I picked up two wooden dryer racks from yard sales. It is just as easy to hang most of your wash loads out on a porch, and couldn't we all use fresh air? Our power bill dropped substantially when the weather warmed enough to hang outside. I fold them straight from the wooden dryers. It's worth the effort!

By Pattie from Bridgton, Maine

By Mary (Guest Post)

The only problem I found with a wooden rack is that when the wood got wet from the clothes it stained my white Tshirts. (Same goes for wooden clothes pins)
I also hang my clothes off the clothes line in the winter - they still dry - They just need a little help from the drier to finish them off.

By jean (Guest Post)

To stop the discoloration of whites, try wiping the bars of your rack with a bleach solution every week or two, and the whites will stay white. You can soak wooden clothespins in a bleach solution occasionally, and let dry spread out on a towel in the sun.

Personally, I use plastic clothespins from the dollar store, and hang out year round in the western NY area.