Cleaning InteriorCars

Sharpie on Car Interior

My son put Sharpie on the inside ceiling in my van. Should I try alcohol? It is also on the headrest.

By Bowersofwi

Just today someone told me that hairspray was great to get ink out, maybe that would work on sharpie also?

Try "Goof-Off." They have it in Lowe's and Home Depot, possibly WalMart and similar stores (look in the hardware or paint department).

Try vinegar. My daughter told me her class did an experiment with permanent markers & vinegar and found that vinegar removes permanent marker.

Mister clean magic eraser will remove it from some surfaces not all. Also try marking over it with a dry erase marker, I heard that takes permanent marker off of dry erase boards, maybe it will work on the van. If nothing else, get a sharpie that matches the van and color over it! Robyn

Although "Goof Off" is wonderful to remove latex-based paint and misc. stains, I would NOT recommend using it on the interior of your car for two reasons:

"Goof Off" is a xylene-based solvent. These types of solutions have a tendency to remove the finish on leathers & vinyls.

Also, the smell of xylene takes quite a while to dissipate so if you live anywhere where your car interior becomes warm, the smell can become overwhelming and excess inhalation of the vapor may depress the central nervous system (CNS), and possibly cause symptoms such as headache, dizziness, nausea and vomiting.

Personally, I would recommend the use of 95% ethanol (AKA denatured alcohol -- not isopropyl or rubbing alcohol). If you have difficulty finding ethanol for purchase, you could try something similar in nature such as Everclear or another 190 proof alcohol.