AdviceRecipes

Recipes that Use Syrup

I was given a bottle of Mrs. Butterworth's Syrup. I don't buy this type of syrup and am at a loss of what to do with it. I like thick syrup so I won't use it for pancakes. Does anyone have any recipes I could use it in?

Thanks,
Sandy from Baltimore, MD

I have used maple syrup for glazing ham steak for dinner. Add cooked sweet potato, a bit of apple juice with flour (to thicken) & cinnamon or ground clove.

MAPLE PECAN PIE

3 eggs, well beaten
1/2 c. granulated sugar
3 TBS. margarine or butter, melted
1 c. pecan halves
1 c. maple or maple-flavored syrup
Dash of salt
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell

Combine eggs, sugar, margarine, syrup and salt; mix well. Sprinkle pecans evenly in pastry shell. Pour syrup mixture slowly over pecans. Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake 35 minutes or until set. (Foil around pie edges if it gets brown too quickly.) Yummy!

use it in a small bowl for dipping french toast sticks, or use it to sweeten and flavor oatmeal.( instead of buying the expensive maple flavored oatmeal).
what about using it in a form of baklava?or for making sticky buns?
hope some of these suggestions help.
brenda-ohio

I only buy real maple syrup so if I were given Mrs Buttersworth, I'd just offer it to someone else who likes it. If you can't use it and don't like it, just give to a friend or relative.

Go to allrecipes.com and click on the search button, then a page will come up with ingredient search. Type in pancake syrup and a page of recipes will come up.

To me Ms. B IS thick syrup! It's my favorite! Wish you lived close by! ;-}

add a tablespoon of butter and 1/4 cup of syrup to cooked baby carrots to glaze them. my family loves them cooked this way. add more or less to your liking.

we pour some maple syrup in our oatmeat, add water, stir and cook in the microwave for a few minutes.
It makes such a tasty warm breakfast and is much better than that maple flavored instant oatmeal.

I run a food pantry and our clients never get enough syrup for french toast and pancakes. Give it away.

You can also use it instead of corn syprup, honey, or even molasses. I use it in my banana bread recipes.

It makes a great ham glaze. Brush it on the ham and bake as usual. Sometimes I'll put pineapple rings with a cherry in the middle too. Yum!

How about going to www.freecycle.org and finding a freecycle group in your area, then posting the syrup there for someone who likes that kind - just a thought. (I love the freecycle thing - it's so convenient and easy, I use it all the time.)