MeatFood Safety

Meat Preparation and Food Safety

After I wash my meat I lay it in the sink (after I clean it thoroughly) and season it. I usually buy family packages of meat and it is easier to prepare my meat this way versus using 2 plates. My mom hates it when I do this said I should use a baking pan instead. What do you use?

By Onesummer

Hello, Onesummer. Your mom is probably reacting to the fact that unless you have just scoured and thoroughly cleaned your sink that it probably has more potentially nasty bacteria than the raw meat. Don't mean to take sides but since you asked, I think your "Mother knows best" on this one! ;-)

I'm also not sure why you would need two plates to do this job either. You could rinse and clean the meat in it's packaging tray or wrapper then place it on a plastic, dishwasher proof cutting board for seasoning. I personally keep two such cutting boards for meat, poultry and fish only and use a set of clean tongs to move the raw meat to the cooking pan, pot or roaster before tossing the tongs and cutting board into the dishwasher. (Neither takes up much space in the dishwasher or even in the sink if I choose to hand wash.)

Flash your mom a happy smile and give her one of those "okay, I'll do it your way this time" moments. Believe me, 20 years from now you will be glad that you made her smile and let her gloat just a bit!

Listen to your mother.

I'm with Mom. Think about all of the things that get washed down your kitchen drain. I always tell my boys "If you don't want it on your food, don't wash your hands in the kitchen sink." Nasty.

I'm not beyond using a freshly cleaned sink, but you could lay it on waxed paper or plastic wrap.