AdviceHome Improvement

Connecting a Phone Line

We had two phone lines coming into our house. I recently disconnected phone line A. I would now like to connect the jacks inside the house that were used for phone line A into phone line B, the line that is still active. Verizon said it would cost a minimum of $95 to have someone come out to do this, but implied that we could easily do it ourselves. But they wouldn't tell us how. Anyone know how to switch the phone A lines over to the phone B number?

Sparrowood from Cambridge Springs, PA

Wiring a phone is really easy...have you ever re-wired anything before? You really just need to take off the cover on the jack (it may be held on with screws) and unscrew the little screws inside that are holding the wires from the old line. Then take the new line, strip the ends and run them into the jack...but match the colors (red on red, green on green, etc.) It will help if you look at the old one and look inside your box outside to see what wires they used (we only use 4 and some lines have 6 colors...so you need to know which ones are running into the box...it is hooked up just like the jack). After that, tighten the screws and check to see if it works. But remember the line is live so you can get shocked (believe me it isn't that bad but still doesn't feel good...lol). I wouldn't pay the 95 bucks...but I have done mine for years. If you don't have a clue after reading this...maybe ask a friend or neighbor. Good luck!!!!