Fat Free Corn Tortilla Chips or Strips

Tortilla chips are typically fried and laden with fat. Corn tortillas, on the other hand, have NO fat. Make your own chips by cutting the tortillas with kitchen shears into wedges or strips, scatter them on a shallow pan and bake at about 300 degrees F until crisp. Turn once with a spatula while baking. You can sprinkle them with chili powder or seasoning of your choice (garlic, cumin?) before baking, if you like.

By Linda from Vista, CA

WOW!!! I like that idea a lot! Thanks!
stacey

We do the same thing, however, my kids love it when I sprinkle them with sugar and cinnamon before I bake them! YUM! What a quick healthy snack!

OK, I tried this today. DH goes through about two bags of Doritos per week. He likes the thick crunchy kind for dipping with salsa. I bought a bag of corn tortillas for 1.24 ( Doritos are nearly 4.00), I took out a stack of about 10 tortillas, cut them in half down the middle and then cut each half into thirds making pie shaped wedges. I placed them on cookie sheets overlapping slightly and put them into my convection oven at 250 for 10 to 15 minutes, then just turned off the oven and left them until they cooled enough to take the pans out bare handed. After cooling them completely I served DH some chips and salsa. WOW what a hit. He especially liked the batch that I let get "too brown" as he loves that toasted corn flavor. I like these too and they are robust enough to stand up to the thickest salsa. Thanks a million for posting this tip. It is a real winner.