Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
I have coveralls with grease on them. I used Lestoil for years and now have multiple bottles of green cleaners that do not clean grease. Can we still buy Lestoil in Canada? Where? If not, what really will remove grease from work clothing?
By Peter from Varna On Canada
Just thought of some other things that might help you get grease off your clothes.
1. Dawn dish washing liquid, original blue. I use this diluted as my stain remover when I wash clothes.
It's great for grease on dishes, etc. I'd use it straight, let it soak overnight in hot water, put some more Dawn on the grease before you wash it in hot water. You might have to repeat the process.
Do not dry the garment if the grease mark is still there, it will set the stain. True with all clothing.
2. Years ago there was a bar soap called Safeguard. I can't remember who made it or if it's still on the market, but it got out heavy equipment great out of my stepfather's hats and clothes. It was made for the body, but it was almost spooky seeing the grease literally dissolve off the hat when I washed it.
3. There's a bar soap called Zote. I've seen it in the dollar stores and there's a lot of info on this site about it. Can't exactly remember what it's for but i think it's for heavy stains. you can Google it. Again I'd use it like Dawn above.
4. I googled Lestoil and Drugstore.com and Amazon.com both sell it. Shipping costs come into play though. If you spend a certain amount shipping is free to the US. But I don't know about shipping to Canada. Check it out; maybe there's free shipping.
Don't know about shipping to Canada from Amazon.com, but there's shipping costs to the US, I know that.
But if you're desperate, maybe it would be worth it?
5. I just found out that Caress bar soap will remove adhesive from skin and remove scotch tape from glass. Maybe you can rub some on and let it soak and repeat the process like the above for Dawn.
Good luck. will let you know if/when I hear back from Clorox.
ThriftyFun is one of the longest running frugal living communities on the Internet. These are archives of older discussions.
Where can I buy the cleaning liquid "Lestoil" in Canada?
By charlesboys from Ontario, Canada
I haven't seen "Lestoil" for years, but "Pinesol" is the same thing. Lestoil is a pine cleaner.You can probably get a no name brand in your local grocery store or Walmart, Zellers, etc. That's a heavy duty cleaner so wear rubber gloves when using it.
I live in Toronto and was at Honest Eds on Bloor and Bathurst (famous Goods Store) and they had Lestoil and even found the original Dawn dish soap. Hope that helps. You will be able to find Honest Eds on the internet.
Good luck. (08/14/2009)