Condiments & SaucesCanning

How Do I Can Hot Peppers and Green Tomatoes?

I'd like to know how to can hot peppers with green tomatoes in it? Do I use vinegar and water, or just plain vinegar? My grandma use to do it, but I cant remember how. Thank you.

By Bruce

I use a brine recipe. Is this what your grandma had? I use whole cheyenne peppers, green tomatoes (cut in half) cabbage cut in pieces (about the size of the tomato halves) and cucumbers (cut in half). Use and or all these veggies. Wash well and place in scalded jars.Pack tightly and leave about 2 inches of room from the top. Add a heaping spoon of pickling salt(1tsp per quart, 1TBSP per gallon) then fill with boiling water and cap. Cover with towel for 8 hours then store in cool area. These keep for about a year. The more peppers you add, the hotter your brine will be of course.

I can hot peppers in white vinegar.